Friday, September 2, 2022

Ted Williams Was Robbed!

The Splendid Splinter, the Kid, Teddy Ballgame, Thumper … Ted Williams was always a favorite of mine.

What’s interesting is that my admiration did not come from being a Sox fan (that would come later). Instead, it came about through the rather roundabout way of the lowly Washington Senators.  My family lived in Northern Virginia at the time, and Williams tried his first and only managerial gig with the awful Nats at the same time. In his first year, he managed to get those losers over .500 for the first time … and I was hooked.  I followed that up by reading his book, The Science of Hitting, which had just come out.  Oh, I also absolutely loved that 1971 Topps card of his:


One thing I knew about him then was that he didn’t always get along with the press.  I figured that played a role in his being the only Triple Crown winner who didn’t get an MVP award.  And I’m sure that wasn’t the only MVP that didn’t come his way probably for the same reason.

One thing I didn’t realize at the time had to do with something I really admired about the guy. In addition to being one of the greatest hitters who ever lived, the guy was also a fighter pilot!  For the Marines!  In two wars!  What I didn’t realize was how much that took out of his career – six prime years, to be exact.  


I always wondered how much better his numbers might have been if he’d actually played those years.  So, 50-some years later, I decided to take a look.


Methodology
  1. For his 1st gap in playing time (WWII), get the numbers for the regular years before and after (’42 and ’46)
  2. Get averages for those 2 years
  3. Multiple those averages times the 3 years he was out
  4. Add those numbers to his existing totals
  5. Repeat the same process for the 2nd gap (Korean War), for the years 1952 and ‘53

Results
I looked at the numbers for 8 counting stats where Williams had an impact (so, no steals or bunt hits or anything like that).  I’m ranking ‘em here by how close he subsequently came to the top of the heap.  I’m also including the actual numbers, as well as how many places he jumped up, who he displaced, and any interesting tidbits I could throw in there.


Games
Old:  2292 (#118)
New:  3007 (#9)
Diff:  715 (109)
Displaced:  Willie Mays

Interesting tidbit:  One of a handful of players whose careers spanned 4 decades


Plate Appearances
Old:  9792 (#100)
New:  13,008 (#6)
Diff:  3016 (94)
Displaced:  Albert Pujols  

Interesting tidbit:  As of this writing, Pujols only needs 67 more to get back 6th place



Hits
Old:  2654 (#77)
New:  3499 (#6)
Diff:  845 (69)
Displaced:  Derek Jeter

Interesting tidbit:  Had major philosophical disagreements about hitting with Ty Cobb


HRs
Old:  521 (#20)
New:  691 (#6)
Diff:  170 (14)
Displaced:  Willie Mays

Interesting tidbit:  Homered in his last at bat



Doubles
Old:  525 (#46)
New:  683 (#5)
Diff:  158 (41)
Displaced:  Craig Biggio

Interesting tidbit:  Actually tied with Pujols at the time I wrote this.  Something tells me that one won’t stand.


Walks
Old:  2021 (#4)
New:  2753 (#1)
Diff:  732 (3)
Displaced:  Barry Bonds

Interesting tidbit:  He had a great eye, but also never had anybody good hitting behind him.  Can you imagine what he would have done if he had ?  



RBIs
Old:  1839 (#16)
New:  2444 (#1)
Diff:  605 (15)
Displaced:  Hank Aaron

Interesting tidbit:  He was the first rookie to lead his league in RBIs (1939)


Runs
Old:  1798 (#20)
New:  2425 (#1)
Diff:  427 (19)
Displaced:  Rickey Henderson

Interesting tidbit:  Led the league 6 times



“There goes the greatest hitter that ever lived”

No comments:

Post a Comment