Saturday, July 3, 2021

Who’s on First? – The Real Story

I just love the old Who’s on First routine. I’m a huge baseball fan, of course. But if even if you’re not, you still gotta admit, it is pretty darn funny.

Just the other day, I was wondering if there has ever been a real Who, or Hoo, or Hu, who has indeed been on first base. Or a What, or Watt, on second?

Well, there have been 20,000 guys who have played in the big leagues. So, I figure my chances might be pretty good. 

So, here’s what I came up with. I’m ranking them from most likely to least likely. Wish I could have put them all in the right positions. Believe me, this was hard enough as is. Anyway, enjoy! 



1B – Who – Chin-lung Hu
“Hu’s on first.”
  • SS
  • 2007-2011
  • LA Dodgers
  • 193 at bats, .176 avg., 17 runs
  • Shortest surname in MLB history (along with Fu-Ti Ne)


And, I do believe, that is indeed first base


2B – What – Allie Watt
“Watt’s on second.”
  • 2B!
  • 1920
  • Washington
  • 1 game, 1 AB, 1 hit, 1 RBI!
  • Brother Frank was also in the bigs



C – Today – Todd A[llen]

Costello: Gotta a catcher?
Abbott: Certainly.
Costello: The catcher's name?
Abbott: Todd A.
Costello: Today, and tomorrow's pitching.
Abbott: Now you've got it.
Costello: All we got is a couple of days on the team.

  • PH
  • 1925
  • Indianapolis (Negro)
  • Once played for the French Lick Plutos



P – Tomorrow – Tom O’Hara

Costello: The pitcher's name?
Abbott: Tom O’Hara.
Costello: You don't want to tell me today?
Abbott: I'm telling you now.
Costello: Then go ahead.
Abbott: Tom O’Hara!

  • OF
  • 1906-1907
  • St. Louis Cards
  • 226 ABs, .252 avg., 11 runs
  • Also the name of a runner, soccer player, priest, and character in The 13th Man



LF – Why – Hank Wyse

Costello: The left fielder's name?
Abbott: Wyse
Costello: I just thought I'd ask you.
Abbott: Well, I just thought I'd tell ya.

  • 1942-1951
  • 3 teams
  • 79-70, 3.52 ERA, 1258 IPs, 
  • In 1945 All Star Game (22-10, 2.68 ERA that year)



3B – I Don’t Know – A[lexander] Donoghue

Abbott: Well, let's see, we have on the bags - Who's on first, What's on second, A Donoghue is on third...
Costello: That's what I want to find out.

  • CF, SS
  • 1891
  • Philadelphia NL
  • 22 at-bats, .318 BA
  • A true Pennsylvanian – born in Altoona, played in Philly, died & buried in Pittsburgh



CF – Because – B[ill] Koski

Costello: The left fielder's name?
Abbott: Why.
Costello: B. Koski!
Abbott: Oh, he's centerfield.

  • P
  • 1951
  • Pittsburgh
  • 27 IP, 0-1, 6.67 ERA, 2.00 WHIP
  • Nicknamed “T-Bone”



SS – I Don’t Give a Darn
Forget it! 


RF – nobody 
Not part of the routine!

No comments:

Post a Comment